What determines range?/problems with flageolets

Share your knowledge or questions about vocal technique: Belting, high notes, power, hoarseness, distortion, support, Curbing, sound color, singers nodules, microphones, vibrato..... DOES NOT HAVE TO BE "COMPLETE VOCAL TECHNIQUE" RELATED - All kinds of vocal technique posts are WELCOME :)

Moderator: Sebastian Kraft CVI

What determines range?/problems with flageolets

Postby Lala » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:27 am

Hi! I wonder what determines a persons range? The size of the voice box and the length of the vocal cords is what I've always heard, but then there are people who can go really high AND really low... What is the average range, is there any research on this? Personally, i can push my voice up to about F above high C, but it feels and sounds horrible. When I try to sing in flageolet, I can actually feel something move in my throat and it doesn't feel good... It happens from about a D above high C, I think(haven't tried it for a while, because it feels so uncomfortable). Is this just a sign that I'm reaching the end of my range, or is there something I can do about it? If I try to relax while doing it, there is no sound at all, only air passing through... I'm reluctant to experience with it, because it feels really bad...:(
Lala

Re: What determines range?/problems with flageolets

Postby regorsmitz » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:51 pm

I think anyone can sing above a C5 in neutral with proper technique, but I don't have proof of that. Can you include a recording of your singing, or describe what mode you are trying to sing in? Maybe you are constricting, and need to keep your throat (particularly your false vocal folds, which are above your real vocal folds and can rub against them) more strongly retracted. In my experience it's easiest to sing in high falsetto/neutral on an ooooo (as in knew) or an eeeee (as in pea). I'd recommend trying to make a hooty sound, like an owl at various relatively high pitches, or alternatively, fake-yawning at a high pitch, and seeing if you can catch yourself naturally going above C5 in a relaxed way. Let me know if that answers your question/helps!
regorsmitz

Return to Vocal Technique