Help me with my singing tone

Share your knowledge or questions about vocal technique: Belting, high notes, power, hoarseness, distortion, support, Curbing, sound color, singers nodules, microphones, vibrato..... DOES NOT HAVE TO BE "COMPLETE VOCAL TECHNIQUE" RELATED - All kinds of vocal technique posts are WELCOME :)

Moderator: Sebastian Kraft CVI

Help me with my singing tone

Postby Tappivanukas » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:36 pm

Hi!

I'm 22-year old guy and I've been singing for about six months. I have taken 5 CVT lessons and I have CVT book. When I started taking lessons the highest note I could hit was F#4 and now it's something like A5-Bb5, so thanks to lessons and great teacher I got my range working. I've got pretty low speaking voice, somewhere around E1 and lowest note I have hitted is Bb0. I like old 70's and 80's rock music and Dio is my favorite singer and I'm aiming for tone like he had.

I recorded a clip of me singing Black Sabbaths Heaven and Hell. I really don't like my tone at all. I think I sound kind of whiny and wimpy and it doesn't sound free, it's more like strangled to my ears. I think Dio has some kind of meatier, fuller and richer tone. What should I do to get more rich tone? And what you guys think about my singing? What modes am I using?

https://soundcloud.com/tappivanukas-1/heavenhell

Sorry if there is mistakes, my English is bit rusty, hehe...
Tappivanukas

Re: Help me with my singing tone

Postby Kaare » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:49 pm

Hi there.
Try to focus on twang as well as the full metallic path (Overdrive to Edge)
Maybe only sing the song with your favorite vowel(s) in the modes, simply to practice the full metal, loud volume and what it requires support wise.
Hope it makes sense.
Best regards
Kaare
Kaare
CVI Teacher
CVI Teacher

Return to Vocal Technique