Using CVT for speech work

Share your knowledge or questions about vocal technique: Belting, high notes, power, hoarseness, distortion, support, Curbing, sound color, singers nodules, microphones, vibrato..... DOES NOT HAVE TO BE "COMPLETE VOCAL TECHNIQUE" RELATED - All kinds of vocal technique posts are WELCOME :)

Moderator: Sebastian Kraft CVI

Using CVT for speech work

Postby bertramlevaughn » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:04 pm

Hi all. I am new to the CVT scene and I am just exploring to see what it has to offer in terms of vocal production. Alot of people using this method are wanting to improve their singing voice, but how about speech? How can CVT bee tailored to improve speech. For example, I am interested in possible wanting to explore voice cover work, whether it be radio, commercials or film how would I approach the training from a CVT standpoint. I am a tenor so my speaking voice is quite light, how do improve the heaviness of the voice to have that film voice cover sound like you hear when they say '....in a cinema near you' lol
bertramlevaughn

Re: Using CVT for speech work

Postby funkypou » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:23 pm

Hi,

It works like a recipe : you put all the ingredients you need for your taste. If I understand, you want a heavy tone so you need to choose a full metallic mode (Overdrive or Edge). Then you add a color (dark or light) that may be dark, in your case. And then, if you need, you can add effects (distortion, for instance). The organization of the book is clear (basic principles, modes, colors, effects) and allows to make your own recipe.
funkypou

Postby Dino » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:42 pm

Don't forget the creaking. :lol:

also, I think you should use a dark sound color for action and thrillers and a light color for comedy. :D
/Dino
Dino

Postby Kaare » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:28 pm

Singing is no different from speaking other than longer vowels and less consonants.
So...as mentioned already...you approach it exactly like you would when singing but due to the fact that you are in the low part of the voice, you get the possibility of pronuncing/articulating more than you would in the high part of the voice.

Best regards
Kaare
Kaare
CVI Teacher
CVI Teacher

Return to Vocal Technique