Me singing C6, want CVI's advice on how to keep it etc

Share your knowledge or questions about vocal technique: Belting, high notes, power, hoarseness, distortion, support, Curbing, sound color, singers nodules, microphones, vibrato..... DOES NOT HAVE TO BE "COMPLETE VOCAL TECHNIQUE" RELATED - All kinds of vocal technique posts are WELCOME :)

Moderator: Sebastian Kraft CVI

Me singing C6, want CVI's advice on how to keep it etc

Postby pabrah » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:51 am

Hi guys,

well first off a few of you might have saw my thread a few weeks ago, about how I had found a sensation of a "true" open throat and how it had freed my range again.

Well I had a C6 (and maybe more, I didn't want to push it though) up to ~ a week ago, but now I'm peaking at B5. This B5 isn't the same as the C6 though- aka mainly a very "free" feeling- I'm not definitely straining or anything, but it's a lot more work. That "free" feeling tops out at G#5 or A5 currently.

Anyways, here's a sound clip I made of me singing the C6. I don't know if you can tell, but the note was LOUD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2zkO_6mn9g

So based on all of the above, what would be my plan to "keep" the note? I assume knowing what mode would help. I know the book has a section on training the very high parts of the voice, but I don't know if a male C6 was included or that's even too high.

I think it might be important for me to mention any possible "impediments" to my note, or why I can't hit the C6 this week. I'll list a few things, and I assume some here could say if they think it could have affected my voice or not:

- I've had a few rough nights sleep, including a few under 6 hours. I don't sing when I get less than 6 for fear of my voice, and I know last week I wasn't getting 8+ every day either.
- Maybe the C6 was taxing so my body needs to recover, similar to going all out athletically? I have no idea on what CVT's take on if the highest notes fluctuate normally etc.
- I started the next "stage" of the singing program I use, but I've already been at this stage and above before (I went back down after realizing I didn't have everything "down" in previous stages) and I'm pretty sure I'm doing the exercises correct enough. I'm not CONSTRICTING (upper case for emphasis) or anything. Again I have no idea if CVT would say the veeeeeery end of your range can disappear from the slightest amount of too much air etc, but it would take REAL constriction/bad technique to wipe out your entire 5th octave etc. I also emailed CVI about skype lessons, so I'm going to get my technique down regardless.
- I do suffer from reflux, but my diet hasn't been worse than last week's or anything.

Thanks in advance, and if I think of anything else I'll add to this, or if anybody reading this has questions etc I'll be sure to respond.
pabrah

Re: Me singing C6, want CVI's advice on how to keep it etc

Postby highnotemaniac » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:47 pm

The video in your link is private so it doesn't allow me to watch it. I would say that, if there's something you could do last week and can't do it now, you're just not adjusting the parametres the same way. Especially now that you mentioned that have obtained new ways of working with your technique. Of course your alertness and physiological condition can affect to it but I wouldn't go too much into that especially if you and your vocal cords are healthy. Rather try to do find your way back there by means of correct technique. And when you've reached your goal you can try to figure out the things that made you unable to do it before. This way you can make sure that you have tools to work with in future if the problem reappears.
highnotemaniac

Postby pabrah » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:43 pm

Hey thanks, yeah I agree it's most likely a technique/"parameters" thing, and I've been trying to remember how it felt etc, but I just can't find it currently. That's why if people could tell me the mode or maybe the exact vowel I'm singing (though I think I can figure that out by listening) I think it would help.

I also just fixed my link; it should work now.
pabrah

Postby Mungfield » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:27 am

Pabrah,

I think it's normal to occasionally hit a difficult note with ease. That doesn't mean that you should be looking for a way to "keep" the note, rather, you should be looking for a way to learn that note.

It's a bit like a novice dart player who may hit bulls eye one in a hundred times. It happens more or less by accident. (not to imply that you are a novice singer, these notes are just very difficult to learn)

Singing in those extreme parts of the range requires enormous precision.

What you ought to focus on is the feeling you have in the G5 area. Keep working on those notes to make them easier still. That is, to be able to hold them longer and to get just a bit more flexibility in sound color and volume. Forget about the B5 if it doesn't feel free at the moment. Don't reach too far too soon.
Preferably, forget about pitch altogether and focus only on the feeling of ease. Play around with it while focusing on the various technical aspects, especially support and twang.

Regarding your clip, (the lucky bulls eye) there are three things that I'd like to point out:

1. You are going for neutral, which is probably your best bet up there. (maybe you can try Edge, but I don't think that Curbing would be a good idea)

2. You do a great job allowing the vowels to merge, which is crucial.

3. You use a heavy vibrato, which I think is great because it tends to free things up.

Notice what happens in the support when you do this kind of vibrato, as this could help you get a better grasp of the appropriate support for those difficult notes.

Best regards
Mungfield

Postby pabrah » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:54 pm

Mungfeld,

thanks for the advice! I really like your advice on making sure each note is free, and then working a note at a time in increasing it.

I've been doing a traditional "workout" style practice routine since I find it works better than me trying to figure out my own plan without personal lessons to guide me (I plan on rectifying this with CVT lessons, just waiting for a response from an email I sent last week with questions I have about skype lessons) and the workout has one exercise where you go up a note a time to C6. It's definitely helped, but I can see how a more personalized practice a la what you suggested would probably help more.
pabrah

Postby Mungfield » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:19 pm

pabrah wrote:thanks for the advice! I really like your advice on making sure each note is free, and then working a note at a time in increasing it.

Yes, but not so much "a note at a time" as what you'll be able to do without strain on a given day.
So, on some days, you may be able to hit the B5, but on other days you may not get further than G5. Perhaps there will even be days where the G5 will be too difficult. This is all part of the process of learning the precision need for those notes.

This is also why I suggest forgetting about pitch altogether. On a given day, just see how high you can go without strain. You don't have to think about pitches to do that.

Anyway, that's my suggestion. Best regards
Mungfield

Postby Dino » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:59 pm

Wow, awesome! First I thought this was a girl, until I heard you speak. ***I mean that 100% as a compliment!*** The vowel is most definitely EH. I think you really hit the sweet spot with your twang and larynx position. I would be interesting to hear you do a siren from an octave below and up to that pitch. Please post that next time you get up there! :D

/Dino
/Dino
Dino

Postby pabrah » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:48 pm

Dino wrote:Wow, awesome! First I thought this was a girl, until I heard you speak. ***I mean that 100% as a compliment!*** The vowel is most definitely EH. I think you really hit the sweet spot with your twang and larynx position. I would be interesting to hear you do a siren from an octave below and up to that pitch. Please post that next time you get up there! :D

/Dino

Well thanks :D I'll try to post a siren or two from my practice tonight, though I'm not sure I'll make it to C6 haha.
pabrah

Postby pabrah » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:04 am

Hey Dino, here's a clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gACvAZiH1GM

I'm a little flat on the second siren but oh well :oops:

If you want to hear more I can make more. I wasn't 100% as people were sleeping so I couldn't help but quiet myself a little.
pabrah

Postby Kaare » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:52 am

Hi there. Great c6!
First off I dont know what you mean by "keeping the note"...Do you mean the free sensation?

The mode is Neutral - nothing else is possible at this pitch.
Vowel...??? Nobody but you can say for sure, considering the merging of the vowels and high pitch.

Technical approach:

Be ready to work for the note
Twang (Edge vowel even if in Neutral)
Lift larynx
Open mouth quite a lot and show your molars.

Or:
Dont work a great deal
simply think of the pitch and try to hit it using light sound color (which will create a smaller volume and "sound" - but it might be easier...)

Best of luck
Kaare
Kaare
CVI Teacher
CVI Teacher

Postby Dino » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:47 pm

Sorry I didn't respond earlier! You can pronounce Dino anyway you want. :D

I've been meaning to try and imitate what you do, but it's a bit chaotic on the home front right now and I don't have a basement to sing in. :lol:
/Dino
Dino

Return to Vocal Technique