Me trying edge

Share your knowledge or questions about vocal technique: Belting, high notes, power, hoarseness, distortion, support, Curbing, sound color, singers nodules, microphones, vibrato..... DOES NOT HAVE TO BE "COMPLETE VOCAL TECHNIQUE" RELATED - All kinds of vocal technique posts are WELCOME :)

Moderator: Sebastian Kraft CVI

Me trying edge

Postby metallica2088 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:53 pm

Hello fellow singers,

I recorded myself yelling in edge:) am i doing it correctly?
https://soundcloud.com/nick-te-lindert/edge/s-CgTtp
Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.
--Buddha--
metallica2088

Re: Me trying edge

Postby funkypou » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:22 pm

There is less metal in the 1st and 3rd sounds. It sounds like Curbing for me but I'm not sure.
funkypou

Postby metallica2088 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:47 pm

Aha i found out that i was using the hold to produce the note.
I was confusing the hold with a glottal attack
Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.
--Buddha--
metallica2088

Postby Mungfield » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:29 pm

Yes, you really have to allow yourself to sound like a maniac when you are learning edge.
To me, it feels like there is nothing impeding the sound even though, in fact, there is the twang and the approximation of various pharyngal things. Curbing feels different to me.
When learning Edge, it is probably best to sing with a really light color an be really loud (the maniac). Later, you can darken it somewhat and learn to sing in Edge with less twang and at lower volumes.
To me, in the 4th octave, Edge feels more free than Curbing and requires less effort than Overdrive.

Best regards
Mungfield

Postby Dino » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:51 pm

Off the top of my head, I would guess MLN, or edge-like neutral in the new parlance.

I always think of the arch-typical edge is heard mostly in Soul/RnB. Something like this http://youtu.be/HqYnevHibaI?t=1m55s.

/Dino
/Dino
Dino

Postby Kaare » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:55 am

Sounds good to me!
Make sure you maintain the metal on the vowel "I"(sit) though. It could be flirting with Neutral, but its hard to hear from your recording how much/Little volume/metal is on.

Regards
Kaare
Kaare
CVI Teacher
CVI Teacher

Return to Vocal Technique