Singing with air in the voice

Share your knowledge or questions about vocal technique: Belting, high notes, power, hoarseness, distortion, support, Curbing, sound color, singers nodules, microphones, vibrato..... DOES NOT HAVE TO BE "COMPLETE VOCAL TECHNIQUE" RELATED - All kinds of vocal technique posts are WELCOME :)

Moderator: Sebastian Kraft CVI

Singing with air in the voice

Postby hartsings » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:21 pm

I have read in the CVI book how to sing correctly with air, but I think I need a little more information. How do you know when you are doing it correctly? I am a voice teacher that is trained classically and it makes me nervous to teach the "singing with air" technique so I want to make sure I understand it clearly. It is a technique that you hear a lot in pop music.
Thanks!
hartsings

Re: Singing with air in the voice

Postby Kaare » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:05 am

Hi there.
Important factors to consider when teaching air:

Make sure the singer can add and remove the air in the mode of Neutral.

Volume: Around vol. 2/that means very soft (vol. scale from 1-10)

Use only 2 % of air as it keeps the singer in control and due to the fact that using more air wont make the sound sound a lot breathier.

H-attack

Vowel: "AH"/far perhaps

Make sure the singer is in Neutral and that support work is performed correctly.

Make sense?
Kaare
Kaare
CVI Teacher
CVI Teacher

Re: Singing with air in the voice

Postby hartsings » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:00 pm

Hi Kaare,
Thank you so much for your reply and I apologize for taking so long to get back to you. Yes, that all makes sense and is very helpful. Thank you!

Best wishes,
Ann
hartsings

Return to Vocal Technique