Current State of CVT Book?

Share your knowledge or questions about vocal technique: Belting, high notes, power, hoarseness, distortion, support, Curbing, sound color, singers nodules, microphones, vibrato..... DOES NOT HAVE TO BE "COMPLETE VOCAL TECHNIQUE" RELATED - All kinds of vocal technique posts are WELCOME :)

Moderator: Sebastian Kraft CVI

Current State of CVT Book?

Postby KillerKu » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:53 pm

Hi. I'm a poster on the Modern Vocalist and have been a lurker during the golden age of these forums when your activity was high and spam was low. I feel like I've learned a lot from your discussions on voice and learned a lot on the Modern Vocalist as well. The discussions actually helped me greatly during a health problem (likely glossophayrngeal neuralgia), trying to stay healthy, trying to cross reference technique from what seems to be nerve pain in the area.

I've got meds that let me sing again, I'm fairly poor, and can't afford a lot of the more expensive vocal programs. Lunte is great, but pillars might send me homeless at this point. I'm considering picking up your book for educational purposes. I've always sung primarily from the heart, whatever technique happens, it happens. I try to make things comfortable and work for me, but I sing with technique that feels honest emotionally for the song rather than stick rigidly to one 'proper' ideal technique? So that was always the crowning jewel in your methodology that really resonate with me as an artist. Everybody sings in 'different modes' right? Artists are diverse, people are diverse, voices are diverse, we're not all the same person, right?

Back in the day, you had various modes: overdrive, curbing, edge, neutral, metal like neutral, and neutral with air. I've heard your users discussing 'mode between modes.' The website still reflects a four mode model. Is the latest edition of the book up to date with these mode between mode methodologies?

Since I'm at a point where I can sing again some (whatever I've got is permanent) and seem to be singing without major problems of any kind (hoarseness, strain, etc) I feel like your book might help me sing healthily in my own way. So yeah, what's the current state?

You guys interested in reviving the forums? You've kept them up, but hardly anybody is here, right? Some activity from non spammers would help your program as well.
KillerKu

Re: Current State of CVT Book?

Postby Kaare » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:39 am

Hi there.
Sorry to hear that you have been sick, good to hear that you can sing again.

And yes, its been quite a problem with the spammers but they are not solely to blame for the absence on this forum.
We have launched a new website for all CVI students/teachers etc. and a lot of debate is taking place here as well.
We are currently working on fusing the two, so we can all debate together :-)

About the book I would definitely say that the 2012 UK version of the book is up to date.
The technique is always in motion son no book is ever completely updated as new research is taking place as we speak...
But the 2012 UK version is part of the curricullum for the various CVI educations so its definitely updated enough.
If you speak spanish, there´s an even newer version, but Im not sure that there are any difference between the spanish v. the UK version when it comes to updates.

Hope it makes sense :-)
Best regards
Kaare
Kaare
CVI Teacher
CVI Teacher

Postby eggplantbren » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:52 am

There are still four modes :) Some of the new things being discussed are within the existing modes. Medium edge and medium overdrive are just edge and overdrive with the volume reduced a bit. The old metal-like neutral (neutral which kinda sounds like edge) is now called edge-like neutral because you can make neutral sound like the other modes as well. E.g. overdrive-like neutral (= quiet shouting, ha)
eggplantbren

Postby pabrah » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:31 pm

Kaare wrote:Hi there.
Sorry to hear that you have been sick, good to hear that you can sing again.

And yes, its been quite a problem with the spammers but they are not solely to blame for the absence on this forum.
We have launched a new website for all CVI students/teachers etc. and a lot of debate is taking place here as well.
We are currently working on fusing the two, so we can all debate together :-)

About the book I would definitely say that the 2012 UK version of the book is up to date.
The technique is always in motion son no book is ever completely updated as new research is taking place as we speak...
But the 2012 UK version is part of the curricullum for the various CVI educations so its definitely updated enough.
If you speak spanish, there´s an even newer version, but Im not sure that there are any difference between the spanish v. the UK version when it comes to updates.

Hope it makes sense :-)
Best regards
Kaare

Is this forum available to students who get skype lessons, or is it only for students in that they attend the Institute?

Also, are there any plans to make it easy to print the update pages? I started using a pen to cross out/add the updates for the English version but sometimes there's whole new sentences that I can't fit. It would be easy if I could print that page out and tape/glue the section over the previous section it's replacing.

Also, for the English updates there's a page that the image is down.
pabrah

Postby Kaare » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:11 am

Hi there.
Skype lessons are available for all.

Not quite sure what you mean in regards to updates, but here´s a link to the site where you´ll find all CVT updates so far:

http://completevocalinstitute.com/books ... h-version/

Best regards
Kaare
Kaare
CVI Teacher
CVI Teacher

Return to Vocal Technique