Letting go of hold or support?

Share your knowledge or questions about vocal technique: Belting, high notes, power, hoarseness, distortion, support, Curbing, sound color, singers nodules, microphones, vibrato..... DOES NOT HAVE TO BE "COMPLETE VOCAL TECHNIQUE" RELATED - All kinds of vocal technique posts are WELCOME :)

Moderator: Sebastian Kraft CVI

Letting go of hold or support?

Postby singing101 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:02 pm

I've noticed that when I try to sing neutral with air or neutral in general, I feel like I'm just letting all my air out through the throat. Should neutral feel like you are releasing air through the throat or should it still feel somewhat "closed" or "held" like in curbing?

With "natural support" does this simply mean when you start singing, exhale the way you regularly would (as if you weren't trying to hold back your air) and then begin to support? Or do you tense the ribs/solar plexus/ etc FIRST, so that there is more of a sensation of "holding your breath" then exhaling when you start singing?

Why practice support on "ss" vs. just holding your breath for a while? Is there a difference between the two?
singing101

Re: Letting go of hold or support?

Postby eggplantbren » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:56 am

Great questions. Looking forward to hearing from the experts because I haven't sorted out neutral yet either. SO the following are guesses.

"Should neutral feel like you are releasing air through the throat or should it still feel somewhat "closed" or "held" like in curbing? "

I can do both of these, and they have quite different sounds but definitely no metal. Maybe the latter is curbing-like neutral?

"With "natural support" does this simply mean when you start singing, exhale the way you regularly would (as if you weren't trying to hold back your air) and then begin to support? Or do you tense the ribs/solar plexus/ etc FIRST, so that there is more of a sensation of "holding your breath" then exhaling when you start singing? "

I'm not 100% sure but for me it certaintly seems like the second one is correct. Otherwise everyone would magically be able to sing e.g. high Cs in full metal, for a fraction of a second and would only lose it later. I fail if I don't get ready to support before singing.
eggplantbren

Re: Letting go of hold or support?

Postby Kaare » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:42 am

I've noticed that when I try to sing neutral with air or neutral in general, I feel like I'm just letting all my air out through the throat. Should neutral feel like you are releasing air through the throat or should it still feel somewhat "closed" or "held" like in curbing?

Its hard to talk about "how something feels" for another person.
But Curbing can be a good way into Neutral.
Maintain the position of Curbing whilst decreasing the vol. ´till the metal disappears and you are in Neutral.
If air is added unintentionally in the Neutral, you have to work on getting rid of the air.
Tools = Lose jaw or twang/bite on an "EE" like "see".
Work slightly harder to eliminate the air and also experiment with adding slightly more volume.

With "natural support" does this simply mean when you start singing, exhale the way you regularly would (as if you weren't trying to hold back your air) and then begin to support? Or do you tense the ribs/solar plexus/ etc FIRST, so that there is more of a sensation of "holding your breath" then exhaling when you start singing?
Bretahe in normally - then the ribs expand.
Initially this doesnt cost a thing (the Diaphragm is naturally lowered and doesnt need help) - after a little while you can feel that it gets harder to hold back the breath (keep the Diaphragm lowered) - and thats when you actively resist by maintaining the position of the ribs, by pulling in the abdomen gradually, contracting back muscles etc.
Its another way of saying: Only support (actively) when its difficult and usually its not so difficult in the beginning of phrases.
An by the way, we now call "Natural support" for "Free support".

Why practice support on "ss" vs. just holding your breath for a while? Is there a difference between the two?
Yes, when you are holding back the breath (to feel the power of the Diaphragm) theres no exhalation.
When you are doing the sss exercise you have exhalation (that you seek to make even and small) but yet no vocal cord vibration (no pitch).

Makes sense?
Best regards
Kaare
Kaare
CVI Teacher
CVI Teacher

Return to Vocal Technique