The border between MLN and Edge

Share your knowledge or questions about vocal technique: Belting, high notes, power, hoarseness, distortion, support, Curbing, sound color, singers nodules, microphones, vibrato..... DOES NOT HAVE TO BE "COMPLETE VOCAL TECHNIQUE" RELATED - All kinds of vocal technique posts are WELCOME :)

Moderator: Sebastian Kraft CVI

The border between MLN and Edge

Postby Dino » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:40 pm

Hi,
it seems that always when you jump between modes there's a break. N<->OD, C<->OD, E<->OD, N<->C, C<->E, etc. Except for two modes: MLN and Edge. Is there a break between these modes? Or do they flow seamlessly into one another? It seems that the distinct twang is like a grand equalizer for modes! If you go over distinct twang you can transition between any two modes without a break. I guess that is why passaggio/mix voice always has a pronounced twang to it. Which brings me back to my original question: is there a break between MLN and Edge? Is there a qualitative physical difference?

/Dino
/Dino
Dino

Re: The border between MLN and Edge

Postby eggplantbren » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:35 am

IMO whether a transition between modes is heard as a 'break' depends on how quickly you make the change. One of the recent updates with the X-like neutral modes was recognising that you can go smoothly from neutral to overdrive (for example) without passing through curbing. If you do this gradually it won't be perceived as a break but rather a gradual increase in volume and intensity.
eggplantbren

Return to Vocal Technique