What mode is this guy (Jarmo Pääkkönen) singing?

Share your knowledge or questions about vocal technique: Belting, high notes, power, hoarseness, distortion, support, Curbing, sound color, singers nodules, microphones, vibrato..... DOES NOT HAVE TO BE "COMPLETE VOCAL TECHNIQUE" RELATED - All kinds of vocal technique posts are WELCOME :)

Moderator: Sebastian Kraft CVI

What mode is this guy (Jarmo Pääkkönen) singing?

Postby the-reaper » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:06 pm

Hello,

I wondered, in where mode is this guy singing higher notes? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDUNkX7i3zI&list=UU6mWZmzxkJTm5x41e-R2fbw The whole song is quite a high to male singer, but the end of the song is freaky. If you listen from 3:15 to the end, you hear that highest notes are really loud and screamy. Is that edge and is it possible for everyone to master this kind of singing?

Thank you!
the-reaper

Re: What mode is this guy (Jarmo Pääkkönen) singing?

Postby highnotemaniac » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:42 am

If you mean the screams done in F5 (at 3.38 and the end of the song), I would say they are Metal-like Neutral with added distortion here and there. Pretty hard notes I have to admit, but not that rare though. So I don't see why any man couldn't learn to do them. I would start with Edge around high C (C5) on work my way up and let go of the metal gradually. That's how I learned to do them. Although F5 might be still a bit too high for me :D
highnotemaniac

Re: What mode is this guy (Jarmo Pääkkönen) singing?

Postby Kaare » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:03 pm

Sounds like a path of mainly:

Overdrive middle/high
Edge/high
E-like N/very high (maintaining the Edge setting and losing metal the higher he goes)
Effect: Distortion mainly.

Anyone can learn this.

Best regards
Kaare
Kaare
CVI Teacher
CVI Teacher

Return to Vocal Technique