Huntress Zenith G5 MLN or Edge?

Share your knowledge or questions about vocal technique: Belting, high notes, power, hoarseness, distortion, support, Curbing, sound color, singers nodules, microphones, vibrato..... DOES NOT HAVE TO BE "COMPLETE VOCAL TECHNIQUE" RELATED - All kinds of vocal technique posts are WELCOME :)

Moderator: Sebastian Kraft CVI

Huntress Zenith G5 MLN or Edge?

Postby Doug » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:49 pm

Hi all,

So I know it has been awhile since I have been on, busy with my day job and all that....

Anyway, I was working on learning to cover a song, Zenith by Huntress, but I thought I would check with you all about the G5 (above tenor high C) that Jill sings at 01:13. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1OltqV ... 1OltqVcr1Q

Is it metal like neutral or edge? I am thinking metal-like neutral. I have been trying to listen to it in some of the live versions of the song but she seems to miss the note, which made me wonder if it is edge instead. Jill has said she is a trained coloratura soprano, which to me at least suggests hitting G5 in metal like neutral would be pretty easy, but maybe edge is harder for her? (it is for me.) Or of course maybe it is just where the song is in her set list.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Doug
Student Vocalist
Doug

Re: Huntress Zenith G5 MLN or Edge?

Postby eggplantbren » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:41 am

I think it's edge. Has that trumpety buzz which I think is the metal.
eggplantbren

Postby Doug » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:33 pm

eggplantbren wrote:I think it's edge. Has that trumpety buzz which I think is the metal.

Hi eggplantbren,

After listening more I think you are right that it is edge. I found an amazing number of live shows recorded on youtube and on the more recent ones Jill does hit the note but I think she sings it differently, which makes me think even more that she is singing it in edge in the above recording. She talks in an interview about how she had to modify her lifestyle and have complete vocal rest between shows, so I guess that over-use may have something to do with her missing the notes in some of her shows, and perhaps the way she is singing it in some of her live shows now may be easier for her to do night after night.

Interestingly she has mentioned that Melissa cross is her vocal coach. Melissa is (or used to be) a registered member of this forum. Or at least someone with that name was. If you are out there Melissa and want to weigh in (and if it wouldn't violate client confidentiality) I know I would love to hear you thoughts too!.

Thanks eggplantbren and everyone who has taken a look even if they didn't post a reply.

Doug
Student Vocalist
Doug

Postby funkypou » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:49 pm

It sounds like Rob Halford high screams. The sound is piercing but not thick, like MLN. It may be due to the high pitch so I'm not sure.
eggplantbren wrote:Has that trumpety buzz which I think is the metal.

I think the buzz is usually due to twang and MLN can also have a buzzy character. For me, real metal has more thickness but I might be wrong (hard to tell at this pitch).
funkypou

Postby Doug » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:47 pm

Hi funkypou,

Thanks for your insight, I will go back and listen more.

I guess a fundamental question that I am having trouble answering is what vowel she is singing. I am not really sure which CVT vowel you would want to use for the English word "high" but it sorta seems like she is singing AH to me which might suggest that it is metal like neutral or perhaps more likely she is using a diphthong of A and I which would go with either edge or metal like neutral. I don't have an updated copy of the CVI book yet with diphthongs in it (though I have ordered it.) What do y'all think? I know lots of you are polyglots and/or talented linguists and likely have much better ears for vowels than I do. Though I am a native English speaker, I learned to speak English in the USA so I say water with a "d" so ... I am not much good at English stuff. :wink:

Thanks so much.

Doug
Student Vocalist
Doug

Postby funkypou » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:51 am

If you're confused with the vowels in the book, I don't think I'm better. I'm French and there are big differences between the UK and the French vowels. For instance, the word in the French book for A is "plage". But for me, the vowel in "plage" is closer to AH. But that may be because I'm more used to hear English from Americans than from English people. For me, "and" is close to EH but English "and" must use more opened. At the end, I might have the same confusions as yours. :)

Let's wait for Kaare to tell us which CVT vowel and which mode she uses.
funkypou

Postby Thewall » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:06 pm

I think it is edge-like neutral and the vowel is the "and" vowel.
Thewall

Postby Kaare » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:12 pm

Hi guys.
I´m positive that its Edge like Neutral.
I hear satellite vowel AH/far (related to "A"/and).

A little earlier in the chorus she´s in Edge on a similar vowel but just some full notes lower.

Best regards
Kaare
Kaare
CVI Teacher
CVI Teacher

Postby Doug » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:46 am

Hi Kaare, Thewall and Funkypou,

Thank you all so much for your help!

Doug
Student Vocalist
Doug