Best Way to Approach High Note Difficulty?

Share your knowledge or questions about vocal technique: Belting, high notes, power, hoarseness, distortion, support, Curbing, sound color, singers nodules, microphones, vibrato..... DOES NOT HAVE TO BE "COMPLETE VOCAL TECHNIQUE" RELATED - All kinds of vocal technique posts are WELCOME :)

Moderator: Sebastian Kraft CVI

Best Way to Approach High Note Difficulty?

Postby singing101 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:15 am

Okay...so I'm aware that there are a lot of sound possibilities when it comes to high notes, but for most of my life, I have not been able to sing much past E above Middle C (E4?) I sing a little past it at loud volumes, but can't singing in stereotypically tenor range like most of the radio songs of today.

So here is my question, if you want to be able to sing higher, how do you know which mode to work on?

Should I work on higher Overdrive, since that's what I'm most familiar with?
Curbing, because it is also familiar (more familiar than high neutral) but a bit more flexible vowel wise?
Neutral, which is very difficult to sing but has the most possibilities vowel-wise?

Or just avoiding constriction? Or what? How do you figure out the most efficient way to move into a new range?
singing101

Re: Best Way to Approach High Note Difficulty?

Postby eggplantbren » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:45 am

For me the problem was support, I spent most of my life not doing it right. Worrying about the mode only helped with fine tuning the sound. And before CVT when I was trying to "bridge into head voice" or "find my mix" I never got anywhere either. I don't find tenor songs easy, but I can at least sing them now, it doesn't feel like a complete mystery.
eggplantbren

Postby funkypou » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:19 am

I would begin with Neutral. At a high pitch, it's less demanding than other modes in terms of support. It's also the mode that has the most relaxed setting so mastering this mode can help you release constrictions and improve your singing even in other modes. I can add that as it's the most quiet mode, you can practice it very easily at home and maybe more often than the other modes.
E above high C is quite low and everybody should be able to sing higher than that so I suspect a problem of constrictions. You should post a recording of an ascending siren or scale so that we can hear what the problem sounds like.
funkypou

Postby singing101 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:36 pm

Yeah. Still haven't figured this one out. Maybe it's just better to give up on nuetral and work on curbing
singing101

Postby eggplantbren » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:51 am

Hi singing101,

Your neutral questions in the other threads are brilliant. I'm having similar experiences/confusion in neutral. In my experience it was much easier to solve the mystery of high notes in the metallic modes (particularly overdrive and curbing, my high edge 'feels' quite like my high neutral). If you try to do an A4 in overdrive there's no doubt about air/no air/flageolet etc. You either sang the note well or you didn't. The issue for me was definitely support.
eggplantbren

Postby Kaare » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:49 am

So here is my question, if you want to be able to sing higher, how do you know which mode to work on?
Or just avoiding constriction? Or what? How do you figure out the most efficient way to move into a new range?

You ask yourself what sound you would like to have up there...

More shouty and powerful = Overdrive (darkest mode and tougher the higher you go)
More Sharp and powerful = Edge (lightest mode and usually the "easiest" way to sing high notes with powerful/medium volume)
More held back and medium vol = Curbing (next to lightest mode, for some its easy while others - the majority - chooses Edge instead - Work on "O"/woman - not "OH"/so)
Neutral = Many possibilities in coloring the mode, all vowels, but not so much volume either (until the end of the high part and very high part)

Pick the mode thats easier for you and start here.

Makes sense?
Best regards
Kaare
Kaare
CVI Teacher
CVI Teacher

Return to Vocal Technique